[ jEdit-devel ] Elastic tabstops is completely broken
Matthieu Casanova
2010-10-15 10:02:54 UTC
Hi, I tried the elastic tabstops feature, and it seems it is completely broken :

If I type <tab> means a tabulation

a<tab>b\n
c<tab>

I get exceptions, this happens everytime. And in a big file it can
become very very slow.

Matthieu
Shlomy Reinstein
2010-10-15 12:42:12 UTC
Hi,
Can you send the exceptions? I don't get any of this.
It can be slow if there's a long block with similar tabulation - but that's
due to nature of this feature, I think. In most source files, the blocks of
code that go together in this feature are not large.
Thanks,
Shlomy

http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
Matthieu Casanova
2010-10-15 13:34:01 UTC
That's completely incredible, I'm at home with a fresh jEdit install
and it works prefectly now, maybe a plugin made it crash at work, I
have to investigate that, anyway the feature is very nice to use

Matthieu
Matthieu Casanova
2010-10-15 14:25:23 UTC
Finally I found the problem :
It happens when using Minitabs plugin, but I don't know why exactly

Matthieu

Eric Berry
2010-10-15 17:09:10 UTC
I think I've experienced a bug, maybe 2.

The first issue is, shift+tab really messes things up. The current line
get's unindented, but if you keep doing it all lines of the similar indent
start moving forward.

Eg. If I start off with a piece of code like so:
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

Then tab between the attributes and values I get:
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

Cool, very clean. I think there is too much space, and it doesn't exactly go
along with the documentation - but more on that later.

Now, if I shift+tab on line 2 (the margin line), I get this:
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;[cursor was here]
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

As you can see, padding line got indented again, and the margin line got
unindented. It get's worse the larger the code sample is. I think this is a
bug, unindenting a line shouldn't affect it's context lines.

The second issue has to do with the spacing, and the way multiple tabs
works.

Again, starting with this code sample:
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

Adding tabs as expected:
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

Good so far. However, now if I add another tab between margin and it's
value, I expect for padding's value to line up, but the tab is only added to
the margin line.
Eg
[code]
* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
[/code]

I'm thinking this one is just a my not understanding the nature of elastic
tab stops, but that is the impression I get from the documentation.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Eric

Post by Matthieu Casanova
If I type <tab> means a tabulation
a<tab>b\n
c<tab>
I get exceptions, this happens everytime. And in a big file it can
become very very slow.
Matthieu
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Shlomy Reinstein
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Flex(R) Builder(TM)) enable the development of rich applications that
run
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Shlomy Reinstein
Post by Matthieu Casanova
across multiple browsers and platforms. Download your free trials
today!
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Shlomy Reinstein
Post by Matthieu Casanova
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://www.townsfolkdesigns.com/blogs/elberry
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans
Shlomy Reinstein
2010-10-15 20:01:59 UTC
Alan Ezust
2010-10-15 23:56:46 UTC
No new features go into 4.4. I want to release 4.4pre1 without elastic
tabstops. And I want to release 4.4 very shortly after that. Any new
features go into jEdit 4.5.
Post by unknown
Hi,
The second one is not a bug. The concept of elastic tabstops is that each
<tab> should be indented the same in the block of lines. If one line has two
tabs and the other has just one, they don't need to (or even shouldn't) be
aligned.
Shlomy Reinstein
aligned.
Dale Anson
2010-10-16 13:54:05 UTC
Probably should branch prior to revision 18759. That is before both the
elastic tab stops and the replace button changes. We had discussed 4
changes:

1. Ollie's patch. I think this should be in. It's not committed yet, but
can be added on the branch.
2. Elastic tab stops. Move to 4.5.
3. Replace button. Move to 4.5.
4. Line spacing patch. Not committed yet, move to 4.5.

Dale
Post by unknown
tabs and the other has just one, they don't need to (or even shouldn't)
be
Post by unknown
aligned.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
Alan Ezust
aligned.
goodfella
2010-10-18 17:19:40 UTC
unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
--0016363b87aca636280492ad4c81

Hi,

The second one is not a bug. The concept of elastic tabstops is that each
<tab> should be indented the same in the block of lines. If one line has two
tabs and the other has just one, they don't need to (or even shouldn't) be
aligned.

About the first one, I don't know if it's a bug or not. I think Anshal
should be able to say. It's the same rule as with the 2nd one - if you don't
use the same number of tabs in the various parts, you shouldn't expect them
to be aligned. Possibly the indentation of the padding line before removing
the tab from the other line was calculated according to the first line, and
now that the first line changes, the padding line also changed as it's no
longer a block of lines (wrt elastic tabstops).

Shlomy
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Shlomy Reinstein
Post by Matthieu Casanova
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://www.townsfolkdesigns.com/blogs/elberry
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans
--0016363b87aca636280492ad4c81

It happens when using Minitabs plugin, but I don&#39;t know why exactly<br>
Matthieu<br>
&gt; That&#39;s completely incredible, I&#39;m at home with a fresh jEdit install<br>
&gt; and it works prefectly now, maybe a plugin made it crash at work, I<br>
&gt; have to investigate that, anyway the feature is very nice to use<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Matthieu<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Shlomy Reinstein &lt;<a href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;&gt; Can you send the exceptions? I don&#39;t get any of this.<br>
&gt;&gt; It can be slow if there&#39;s a long block with similar tabulation - but that&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt; due to nature of this feature, I think. In most source files, the blocks of<br>
&gt;&gt; code that go together in this feature are not large.<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;&gt; Shlomy<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Matthieu Casanova &lt;<a href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Hi, I tried the elastic tabstops feature, and it seems it is completely<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; broken :<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; If I type &lt;tab&gt; means a tabulation<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; a&lt;tab&gt;b\n<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; c&lt;tab&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I get exceptions, this happens everytime. And in a big file it can<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; become very very slow.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Matthieu<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Download new Adobe(R) Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; The new Adobe(R) Flex(R) 4 and Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4 (formerly<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Flex(R) Builder(TM)) enable the development of rich applications that run<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; across multiple browsers and platforms. Download your free trials today!<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; --<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; -----------------------------------------------<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; jEdit Developers&#39; List<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href="mailto:jEdit-***@lists.sourceforge.net" target="_blank">jEdit-***@lists.sourceforge.net</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Download new Adobe(R) Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4<br>
The new Adobe(R) Flex(R) 4 and Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4 (formerly<br>
Flex(R) Builder(TM)) enable the development of rich applications that run<br>
across multiple browsers and platforms. Download your free trials today!<br>
--<br>

--0016363b87aca636280492ad4c81--
unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
--000e0cd14496a84db90492e76112

Hi,
Please see my comments below :

Problem #2
This is not a bug.
Elastic tabstops align multiple tabs (in a line) in column blocks of uniform
width such that each line in a column block ends with a tab character.Please
see below :
/t signifies a tab character
Column1 Column 2 Column
3 Column 4
Line 1 : /t int firstVar= /t 1 ;
/t //This is the first variable
Line 2: /t String secondString= /t "Hello World" ;
/t //This is the second variable
Line 3: /t String thirdString= /t "Hi There!"
;/t //This is the third variable
Line 4: /t String fourthString= /t "I am working on
jedit";/t //This is the fourth variable

Now if the text in second and third line of third column is deleted (this
is similar to scenario of problem #2) the alignment doesnt change as the
alignment depends on column blocks which are controlled solely by tabs .

Column1 Column 2 Column
3 Column 4
Line 1 : /t int firstVar= /t 1 ;
/t //This is the first variable
Line 2: /t String secondString= /t
/t //This is the second variable
Line 3: /t String thirdString= /t
/t //This is the third variable
Line 4: /t String fourthString= /t "I am working on
jedit";/t //This is the fourth variable

Problem #1
This is a known limitation of elastic tabstops and is related to Problem #2.
Please see "Mixing indentation and alignment" in
http://tibleiz.net/code-browser/elastic-tabstops.html
Basically if the number of tabs in a particular line get reduced (due to
removal of indentation) the alignment of the whole ColumnBlock changes .So
if tab at Line 1 Column 1 above gets deleted the alignment of all four lines
change as the width of Column 1 increases now.
Column1 Column 2 Column
3 Column 4
Line 1 : int firstVar= /t 1 ; /t //This
is the first variable
Line 2: /t String secondString= /t "Hello World"
; /t //This is the second variable
Line 3: /t String thirdString= /t "Hi There!"
;/t //This is the third variable
Line 4: /t String fourthString= /t "I am
working on jedit";/t //This is the fourth variable

Space Problem:
The space between two columns in elastic tab stops = Tab Width set by the
user in Global Options >Editing

Regards,
Anshal
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Matthieu Casanova
Post by Shlomy Reinstein
Post by Matthieu Casanova
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://www.townsfolkdesigns.com/blogs/elberry
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans
http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev
--000e0cd14496a84db90492e76112

Line 2:      /t             String secondString= /t    &quot;Hello World&quot; ; /t                     //This is the second variable<br>Line 3:      /t             String thirdString= /t        &quot;Hi There!&quot; ;/t                          //This is the third variable <br>
Line 4:      /t             String fourthString= /t      &quot;I am working on jedit&quot;;/t          //This is the fourth variable  <br><br>Now if the text in second and third line of  third column is deleted (this is similar to scenario of problem #2) the alignment doesnt change as the alignment depends on column blocks which are controlled solely by tabs  .<br>
Line 2:      /t             String secondString= /t    /t                                             //This is the second variable<br>Line 3:      /t             String thirdString= /t        /t                                             //This is the third variable <br>
             Column1           Column 2                         Column 3                                 Column 4 <br>Line 1 :  int firstVar= /t   1 ;  /t                                //This is the first variable   <br>