[ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Plugin Feature Requests-2172650 ] Elastic tabstops
SourceForge.net
2010-08-08 22:14:38 UTC
Plugin Feature Requests item #2172650, was opened at 2008-10-17 00:48
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by anshalmnit
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=997936&aid=2172650&group_id=588

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This looks like a great idea for improving readability and easy indentation in code files: http://nickgravgaard.com/elastictabstops/

Comment By: Anshal Shukla (anshalmnit)
Date: 2010-08-09 03:44

Message:
I am nearly done with this !
Before I give it the final touches can somebody confirm that this is
working fine?
Please apply the patch (attached) and let me know how it goes.

Elastic tab stops can be turned ON by clicking on Edit>Indent>Reindent
using elastic tabstops
and can be turned OFF by clicking on Edit>Indent>Reindent using
tabs/spaces
(they are turned OFF initially)

size of any tab character in the buffer = size of the longest row (in the
column block the tab lies in) + tab width(set by the user in
Utilities>Buffer Options>Tab Width)

Comment By: Dale Anson (daleanson)
Date: 2009-12-09 00:29

Message:
I think this would need changes in the core to be implemented. The
whitespace plugin really doesn't address this issue at all, mostly it just
does highlighting, and tab to space and space to tab conversion. I think
that both Chunk.java and TextAreaPainter.java would need to be modified for
this to work, and probably a few other files that work with the text area.

Unfortunately, the example code is not useful in jEdit. The example
manipulates a StyledDocument, which jEdit does not use at all.

Comment By: Jose Quesada (urlwolf)
Date: 2009-12-08 22:10

Message:
+1
- Makes a world of diffference
- only available in gedit, codebrowser editors. Most editors cannot
implement it correctly
- the example is done in java, so it must be possible for jedit to
implement it

Comment By: Alan Ezust (ezust)
Date: 2009-09-04 04:23

Message:
Instead of adding this to core,
this should go in either the whitespace plugin, or its own separate
plugin.
Moving to plugin feature requests.

Comment By: Jörgen Kosche (Mnementh) (mnementh)
Date: 2009-09-04 03:07

Message:
Elastic tabstops would be a great addition.

SourceForge.net
2010-08-09 06:36:29 UTC
Plugin Feature Requests item #2172650, was opened at 2008-10-16 21:18
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by shlomy
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=997936&aid=2172650&group_id=588

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This looks like a great idea for improving readability and easy indentation in code files: http://nickgravgaard.com/elastictabstops/

Comment By: Shlomy Reinstein (shlomy)
Date: 2010-08-09 09:36

Message:
Great work!
Is this supposed to work only with fixed-width fonts (such as Monospaced,
Courier New)? I thought this was supposed to work with any font.
It seems to work fine, but with fixed-width fonts only.

Comment By: Anshal Shukla (anshalmnit)

Date: 2009-09-04 00:37

Message:

SourceForge.net
2010-08-09 13:59:56 UTC
Plugin Feature Requests item #2172650, was opened at 2008-10-16 13:18
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by daleanson

Date: 2010-08-09 07:59

Message:
Perhaps I need some additional instruction. It didn't work the way I
expected, but that probably just means my expectations need adjusted.

Would it make sense to have a checkbox under the text area settings to
enable/disable this feature?

Comment By: Shlomy Reinstein (shlomy)

Date: 2009-09-03 15:37

Message:

SourceForge.net

Date: 2010-08-09 17:25

Message:
I guess it makes sense, and it would have a similar meaning to the
whitespace options of the Whitespace plugin - text area settings option
determines the default, while the action affect the current buffer only.
This feature is useful only if all the developers working on a source file
use elastic tabstops. So, I'm not sure you'd like to turn it on globally.
But having both an option in Global Options and actions to toggle it would
be good.

Comment By: Dale Anson (daleanson)

Date: 2009-09-04 00:37

Message:

SourceForge.net

Date: 2010-08-10 02:40

Message:
I will do the required modifications to make this work with any font.
A check box for this feature makes sense as besides other things it would
clearly show which indentation(elastic tabstops or normal) is being used
currently.
Perhaps we should also consider the case where the user wants this setting
to be enabled over multiple files at once (like source files of a
particular project) .
Dale, can you please elaborate more on what other info you require?
Currently this setting (Edit>Indent>Reindent using elastic tabstops) works
on per buffer basis.

Comment By: Shlomy Reinstein (shlomy)

Date: 2009-09-04 03:07

Message:

SourceForge.net

Date: 2010-08-10 06:19

Message:
Small comments:
1. I think you can use a check-box style menu item instead of the 2 normal
items. This has the additional effect of showing which of the 2 is
currently used.
2. The name "reindent using ..." is not very good since it sounds like
it's a one-time action - reindent now - when actually it changes the
indentation mode of the buffer, that future indents will also use.
3. Related to (2) - I didn't check, but is the indentation mode
persistent, or only used until the buffer is closed? It sounds like a
buffer-local property.

Comment By: Anshal Shukla (anshalmnit)

Date: 2009-09-04 00:37

Message: